Monday, June 29, 2009

Timeline-The Jacklin 5 take a trip

We left on Tues. June 2, at noon. I was trying to keep one last surprise, since my Dad's (Rex) surprise party was impossible to keep a surprise. I wanted to see the look on his face when he saw that it wasn't just me & the baby...it was ALL of us waiting at the airport! When he saw us, a huge grin flashed across his face! Mom was delighted too. I can't remember a recent time where I'd seen her happier. The missionaries had vacated the basement for a week so we could stay there. They had bunk beds & the boys thought that was the coolest -so they took turns with the top bunk. The first night was filled with showing us the extensive garden & flowers. The boys spent probably an hour in Grammie's garden, esp. jumping off the couple of bales of hay. The next day, (Wed.) we had the grandparents to ourselves. We went to good old Fred Meyer to buy a few things, took a tour of downtown Renton & the changes at the Boeing campus where my Dad worked (Mechanical Engineer) for 37 yrs! In the afternoon, we got our suits & headed for Lake Washington at Jean Coulon Park. It was a great to have the kids play where I played as a kid too! We had supper out on the deck at home, overlooking the view, or should I say overgrown trees obscuring the view of Mt. Ranier?! Ahh, good to be home though.
Thursday, my aunt Doris & my dear brother John came in from LA. Doris came in @ 11am, so we dropped my boys off to play at a park & window shop in Renton while Rex & I picked up Doris. Then we all met up again & went to visit the grounds at the Seattle Temple (in Bellevue). Doris & her family had lived in Bellevue long ago when her husband was an Eddie Bauer executive. So Dad drove around for a long time trying to find her old house. We encouraged him to give up.;) Then we returned home. It was roasting in the house. My parents have no air conditioner in their house & have never needed one. It was a hot day, but this was strange! Come to find out, the heat was left on all day!! After dinner, my dad picked up Aunt Luann (Calvin's wife). We had fun visiting, then it was time to pick up (bro.) John C. My husband & I went alone. We picked up a treat & movie & headed back home -laughing the whole way!
Friday -time to pick up Uncle Cal & later Aunt Annette (her husband, John A., poor thing was sick in the hotel the whole trip! But at least he got uninterrupted rest). Our family, my parents, John C., & my aunts & uncle, all went to our favorite place to eat for lunch. Then everyone split up in groups. Our family & John C. had planned to go up to Everett to visit Tom (my bro-2nd to the youngest) & Amy's family for playtime & BBQ. Their boys are similar ages to ours & I couldn't wait for the day Colt & Caleb could finally actually play together. But a miscommunication took Caleb with Grammie & we had to go without him. It was a really great visit, however. Then Saturday was busy with getting prepared for the party.
Sunday (Aunt Doris left in the morning) we went to Everett (WA) & filled the chapel to capacity! (6 uncles, 2 grandpas, 1 great uncle +1 proud papa all got to participate in the blessing) All these Candlands & extended family came for the blessing of Tom & Amy's baby, Heidi. Afterward, we went to Ellen's house to eat. The kids loved playing in her playset & trampoline. Micah had fun getting acquainted with twin cousins, Macy & Avery. Afterward, we separated again, Many went to my oldest nephew, Adam's seminary graduation & school commencement ceremony. John C., & my family went to see Dan's new house. Dan was sure a cute host, so happy. We came back to my parents house to find my parents & his siblings still chatting away! Night owls! We stayed up with them till about 11 then said our final goodbyes. What fun!
Monday morning, Uncle Cal & Aunt Luann returned home. Aunt Annette & her husband (John A.) were up for some sight seeing. My family tagged along. We took the ferry to Vashon Island. We ate lunch there & returned in just in time to see them off at the airport. We returned home, where John C. & mom returned from their outing, just in time to say our goodbyes to him.:( Then we headed back up to Carnation, WA to have dinner & Family Home Evening with Dave & Marcy's family. They upheld our tradition of singing the storm trooper song as one of the FHE songs and had homemade ice cream for dessert!
Tuesday morning we spent getting ready to leave & went out for an early lunch, then headed out to the airport. We arrived in Houston about 12:45 am CST. Thank goodness for a day off on Wed. to try & recoup!

1 comment:

  1. Ask your dad if he knows Robert (Bob) Fowler from Boeing. It's my uncle.

    ReplyDelete